Thursday, May 8, 2008

Beauty break

Geneen Roth writes in her book, "When you eat at the refrigerator, pull up a chair,"

Sometimes, all it takes to remind us that life is infinitely spacious, luscious, and forgiving is resting your eyes on something beautiful.


We all need beauty in our lives.

True beauty comes in all sizes and shapes, colors and materials.

At home, it's easy for me to find beauty all around me. My son provides an endless canvas for beauty. All children do.

At work, it's more difficult. This morning I was in a place to want to see beauty. I took a few minutes to gaze at the beauty of newly hatched ducklings swimming in the shallow end of a pond. Their mommy, with vivid indigo markings, swam beside them, teaching them how to find food in the pond's bed.

Usually, I forget about beauty while I'm working. Stress clouds the world so that everything is out of focus. I have two posters hanging on my office wall; Dawn and Dusk by Alfonse Mucha (an artist in the art nouveau period.) I love Mucha's work; have attempted to copy a few with my less than proficient pen/ink and watercolor technique. But I forget to look up in the course of my all too often swamped days.

Occasionally, I will glance at the photos of my son and husband which I have strategically placed on my desk. But I find that instead of inspiring me, those photos only make me wish I was home with them.

So, I'm going to challenge myself to take a beauty break each day. Even if I have to put a reminder on my calendar.

How about you?

Do you take beauty breaks?

1 comment:

Charlynn said...

I don't take beauty breaks, but I really should. Like you, I need those moments most at work when I am stressed and wishing I was elsewhere.