Thursday, August 23, 2007

Apple's faux pas

While I've been digging into myself these past few weeks, Apple came out with a new slogan to market the new iMac.

I wasn't going to post anything about it, but today, I came across this post at Apple Gazette. I read through some of the comments and got angry. Michael (the author) as well as many of the commenters believed that the Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness went too far in its press release about the influence of Apple's slogan on those with or having the potential to have an eating disorder. "I have to say that I’m a little disgusted by these people," Michael writes.

I left this comment:

True - this one ad may not push a person on the very precarious border of an eating disorder over the edge.

The problem is in our society - where people are obsessed with weight and appearances. With this slogan, Apple is reinforcing the culture's message that one must be thin to be accepted and beautiful, powerful and desired.

And that is where the danger lies. Not just to those genetically predisposed for eating disorders, but for everyone. For all the children who grow up believing that they must look a certain way, be a certain size to belong, to be accepted, to be loved.

That IS dangerous.



I, for one, do not think the AEDA overreacted or were being hypersensitive. I see them (AEDA and NEDA and all the other associations who are trying to change the world for the better) as standing up to a society gone mad. Where normal is equating size with worth.

I am glad that Apple has taken this seriously. I applaud them for changing the iMac's slogan to "All-in-one."

7 comments:

roark said...

good for you, jeanne! this is the kind of thing people need to use their voice for. i'm honored to know a strong woman who does!

i saw it, too, and i was hurt. i'm glad it's changed.

hope you're well today...

~roark

æ said...

I am so impressed they changed it! They changed it because people like you spoke up.

I saw the commercial last week I guess and was shocked. How clearly inappropriate.

ae

Faith said...

Woo hoo Jeanne.

Thank you for standing up (again...)!

xo
Faith

carrie said...

Jeanne,

I never used to speak up because I never thought it would change anything. Maybe it won't. But maybe it will. And I'm learning that speaking up changes ME for the better.

Dig deep and stand up tall, girl!

Jeanne said...

Hey, roark, ae, faith, and carrie!

Thanks everyone!

This speaking up and out thing is new to me, but sometimes, I just can't stay silent. You know?

em said...

good for you!

Jeanne said...

Thanks, em!