Saturday, March 31, 2007

Welcome to Digging Me Up; did you remember your shovel?

For over twenty years, my emotions were locked tight inside the Pandora’s Box of my mind. That is, until my eating disorder jolted me into a three-year journey of self-awakening.

The focus of Digging Me Up will be unique because my eating disorder is classified as the dreaded Not Otherwise Specified of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. In my research, I’ve found that most books on eating disorders focus on extremes – those women who have starved themselves into infertility and osteoporosis before they reached the age of thirty (Wasted by Marya Hornbacher) or those women who gained hundreds of pounds through bingeing (Locked Up For Eating Too Much by Dr. Debbie Danowski). My blog will shed light on the plight of the women stranded in the middle.

Digging Me Up will describe my recovery in detail: the tips and tricks from books, articles and people that have helped and continue to help along the way and the self-analysis that propelled (and still propels) me through recovery. Despite numerous setbacks, I maintain the appearance of a healthy working mother while inside my eating disorder ravages my mind. My blog will highlight the battle between these diametrically opposed goals.

Welcome.

No comments: